Monday, March 23, 2015

Magic Potatoes

I call these magic potatoes because they are, well, magical. Potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates, both simple and complex. I personally train using a Carb Cycling Program, which varies the amount of carbohydrates I eat daily, from high carbs, to moderate and low. This type of diet allows me to offer my body the nutrients it needs to get through my demanding workouts and GROW my muscles, while allowing me to remain lean and even lose body fat! Try these recipes for yourself and enjoy some carbs!!

Sweet Potatoes:
-Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
-Wash and cut approx. 5 large sweet potatoes into small, 1-2 inch squares
-Lay potatoes evenly on a baking sheet, I usually have to use two to let them have enough room
-Coat the potatoes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
-Dust the potatoes with nutmeg and cinnamon, to taste - I coat them pretty heavy on one side, then mix them around
-Bake in the oven, middle rack for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and toss
-Bake for an additional 20 minutes
-Ta Da! That's it! Your done! Easy, huh?

Brown Potatoes:
-You can bake these right along with your sweet potatoes at 400 degrees
-Wash and cut potatoes into small, 1-2 inch squares
-Lay potatoes evenly on a baking sheet
-Coat the potatoes in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil (I like to do my brown potatoes like this, rather than baking them whole to avoid the temptation of dumping a ton of butter on it)
-Season the potatoes- I use lite salt, lemon pepper, thyme, oregano, Ms. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic and Roasted Onion and Herb
-Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove and toss
-Bake for an additional 10-15 min, until tender
-Enjoy!!

A lot of people think that in order to lose weight or get a lean look, that they have to cut out carbs all together and suffer. Well, I'm here to tell you that CARBS ARE GOOD! Carbohydrates are absolutely necessary in your diet in order to produce vital energy not only for your workouts, but for your daily body functions. Your digestive system converts carbohydrates into glucose, a type of sugar that is the fuel for your muscles. Cutting out carbs from ones diet can result in a huge void in energy, inability to recover from physical exertion, not to mention a lack of carbs will throw off the entire balance of your diet, where they play a vital role in the absorption and proper use of proteins and fats in the body.

If you are looking for more information about Carb Cycling, or finding the right diet to help you reach your goals, please do not hesitate to contact me at lyndsiemfitness@aol.com and check out my Custom Fitness Programs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment